Reasons to Become a Member
The National Language Service Corp welcomes speakers of all languages to apply. Membership is open to U.S. citizens, over the age of 18, who speak English and any other language at a level of professional proficiency. Our assignments require a diverse membership to support the needs of our partners. The NLSC is looking for multilingual Americans like you. At this time NLSC cannot accept non-citizen permanent residents. We can accept U.S. citizens living abroad.
Benefits of Membership
Online Networking Opportunities
NLSC members can network through our members-only social networking sites such as Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Instagram.
Opportunities to Serve in Language Assignments
Members may be selected to participate in language assignments in the United States and around the world.
Online Resources for Language Education
The NLSC member site offers numerous language links, articles, and resources for language sustainment and enhancement.
- Access to Language Professional Development Resources: The 24/7 Language Resource offers numerous language links, articles, and a long list of language resources. Members have access to LangNet and SCOLA for sustainment and enhancement training in dozens of languages up to an Interagency Language Roundtable (ILR) Level IV.
- Generous Discounts: The Working Advantage program can save Members up to 60% on ticketed events, online shopping, and more.
- Participation in a Wide Range of Language Assignments: Members may be selected to participate in challenging language assignments in the United States and around the world.
- Network: Connect with people from other cultures or maintain language skills with other NLSC Members and staff via NLSC Meet & Greet events.
- Official Language Assessment: Members who are selected to participate in an assignment have access to an Official Government proficiency test or an Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI).
- Participation on Social Networking Sites: Join the discussions and stay up-to-date with the latest in language news on social networking sites such as Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
- Subscription to The Language Compass: Explore relevant issues to NLSC membership and language speakers in our quarterly Member newsletter.
- Work with a Wide Range of Government Agencies and Departments: Members selected for NLSC assignments become temporary Federal Hires and receive compensation.
Members’ support has included translation, interpretation, video and audio transcription, captioning and voice-over, exercise development and support, role playing, course development, test development, language team leading, cultural advice and training.
Note that the NLSC may contact you early in the preparation stage of an assignment. As a result, details may be limited at first.